How is it possible that I’ve been writing this lovely blog for…dear lord, is it 8 years now?!…without uttering so much as a word in praise of what is quite possibly my favorite color in all of fashion? It’s unthinkable, I tell you.
It’s September, friends! Finally! It’s my favorite month of the year – and not just because my birthday’s fast approaching (though that definitely helps). September always feels like a season of possibility. Leaves change, the air takes on that delicious chill, kids are locked back in their cells for another nine months, and the world feels like it makes a bit more sense.
So, I’m choosing to ignore the fact that the weather report claims it’ll be 90 degrees this weekend where I am. Instead, I’m looking ahead. To short boots, cozy fires, and soup season. Grab your first pumpkin spice latte of the season and do a little something to help your brain transition to fall. Need a few suggestions? Read on
Happy Friday, friends! It’s been a busy week at SMC HQ…want to see what I’ve been up to?
Earlier this week, I got a note that Urban Waxx, my favorite waxing spot in Portland, is hosting a 24-hour Waxx-a-Thon this Saturday, 10/6, starting at 9 am. Yep, you can get your bikini line tidied up at 2 am, friends! Details are over here, but the jist is this: appointments are good, but walk-ins are welcome, and all of the proceeds go to two excellent charities – one for nature, and one for the LGBT community. There will also be food, booze and donuts! If you’re in town, I hope you’ll stop by and groom in the name of charity.
My poor nails haven’t seen the inside of a mani/pedi shop in…well, in so long I’m not willing to admit it. That all ends today. I just got my samples of OPI’s new Germany collection, and will be beelining to my friendly neighborhood salon to try them out this afternoon. Can’t even tell you how excited I am about these colors…I’m going for “My Very First Knockwurst” or “Don’t Pretzel My Buttons” for my fingers, and for the toes, it’s got to be “Suzi & the 7 Düsseldorfs”.
Crimson Mim, a sweet little shop in Palo Alto, just launched its e-commerce site, which is big news. They have a tightly-edited collection of just about every name I know and love, including Rachel Comey, Philip Lim, Velvet and Loeffler Randall. I’m in love already. Now, where did I put that AmEx?
Oh! And speaking of great stores, before I forget, there are a couple of fantastic sales to be had this weekend. Take 30% off the fall collection at Diane von Furstenburg with code FALL30. Also, it’s Friends & Family time at Tory Burch, which means that code TBFRIENDS gets you 25% off sitewide. Go forth and shop!
Last but not least, it’s time for my weekly Pinterest pick. I keep going back to this crazy versatile Jerome Dreyfuss bag I spotted at Saks a while back, and pinning images of it in various colors and states. I am pretty much hypnotized by the fact that these two photos are the same bag (albeit in different colors, obvi). Can’t get over it, and kind of think I have to have it.
Have a wonderful weekend…I’ll be here slaving away on that massive project I keep mentioning. Wish me luck, and have a relaxing weekend on my behalf, won’t you?
Is there anything better than a summer weekend? Especially one in which the sun is actually rumored to be making an appearance? I think not. I’m going to do my darnedest to take this weekend off, friends…I suggest you do the same!
I’m sick to death of seeing the same old LemLem scarves everywhere on the web…it’s time for some bright stripes, don’t you think? Plus, it’s been much too long since I showed you a little Epicé eye candy.
Striped linen scarf, Epice, $217
As I’ve mentioned, I’m right in the middle of a home redesign, which means a whole new world of shopping opportunities! This week, my interior designer has me searching for garden stools to use as side tables. I’d forgotten all about Jamali Garden until I started hunting…wouldn’t these be an amazing indoor option?
Ivory Garden Stool, $90
I have the worst time finding shorts to get excited about. They’re never flattering, and they’re either too short, too long or too tight. But, like Goldilocks before me, I may have finally found a pair that’s just right. Bonus…they’re on sale, plus an additional 30% off, so they’re basically free.
Flower canvas shorts, Talbots, $25(ish)
A friend of mine just got back from Disneyland, and just hearing about her trip has me wistful for a ride on the Matterhorn. I’m a Minnie Mouse girl from way back, so when I spied Minnie’s new collection from OPI, I absolutely had to get it. My favorite? I’m All Ears, obviously.
And last but not least, this week’s Pinterest Pick. I don’t often think of Drew Barrymore as glamorous, or as someone that could carry off a color like chartreuse. But here she is, doing both…and it’s flawless. This photo is a great reminder to actually try those colors you’re afraid of, don’t you think?
Have a fantastic weekend, everyone!
It’s that time – our last gift guide of the season! Whether you’re stuffing a stocking or scrambling to gather enough gifts for eight crazy nights, this list of my favorite under-$15 finds is sure to make gifting on the cheap a cinch.
- Keel’s Simple Diary Vol. 2, $12
- MintFusion lip balm with SPF 30, Supergoop, $9
- Ottoman Iznik tile notecards, Metropolitan Museum of Art, $15
- Felt keyfob, Graf + Lantz, $8
- Christmas scratchers and Hanukkah scratchers, Chronicle Books, $10 each
- Liam’s Robot letterpress cards, Satsuma Press, $10 (all proceeds to go sweet Liam’s special needs trust)
- Leather tape measure, Swing Designs, $10
- Salted caramel hot chocolate on a stick, Ticket Chocolate, $15 for 4
- Glitter in my Stocking and Orna-ment For Each Other, Nicole by OPI, $8 each
(Also known as the “under $30” guide). Because most of us have the highest of ambitions but the lowest of budgets, my list of cheap thrills for the holidays is here to help you keep that holiday credit card balance in check. Turns out, it actually is possible to give a thrill-inducing gift and stay under budget – who knew?
- Totally invigorating in the morning, and not the least bit girly. Anthony Logistics eucalyptus + mint shower gel for men, $18
- Who can’t use another tote? This one has the added bonus of a cross-body strap and a stylish, not-too-sweet graphic. And it’s made by a dear friend of mine! Chrysanthemum tote, Westmama Designs, $29
- West Elm has a bevy of beautiful throws this season, but this one’s cuddly soft and comes in a rainbow of hues. Add your favorite paperback of the year, and give her an excuse to snuggle up. “Favorite” throw, West Elm, $29 (on sale for $19!)
- I never seem to have enough cosmetic bags to throw into handbags, carry-ons and totes. This one reminds me of Chanel, but won’t make me cry when my lip gloss leaks. LeSportSac “Kevyn” cosmetic case, $25
- If there’s a teen or tween girl on your list, I promise you, this is the gift to get her. Absolutely every color under the sun…so you can prove to her there’s more to makeup than piles of black eyeliner. Expert Mega Palette, Avon, $30
- Bargain gifts for men are hard to come by, but this watch is infinitely more handsome than its pricetag allows for – I especially love the webbed strap, which gives it an urban edge. Military style canvas strap watch, Avon, $15
- I’m basically obsessed with this stuff – it’s become my savior during these dry, windy winter days. Trust me, she’ll be addicted too. Blood orange body balm, McEvoy Ranch, $22
- Chocolates are always a great bargain go-to, and these have a fun twist. Each flavor is modeled after a bigger, badder (much more caloric) dessert. Red velvet cake truffle, anyone? Ultimate Dessert Truffles, Godiva, $25
- A classic holiday scent that’s festive, but not cloying. And I always love the packaging from Linnea’s Lights! Pumpkin soy candle, Linnea’s Lights, $21
- Okay, this one’s a smidge over budget. But you get six single-glass bottles of wine for that price, custom grouped by region or selected by master chefs. For a budding oenophile, it doesn’t get any better. Mario Batali Selection 6-bottle wine sampler, Tasting Room, $33 (looks like you save $10 by signing up for their mailing list!)
I’m in the market for a new pedicure shade, friends. The coral I was relying on all summer (surprisingly neutral, and made my legs look almost tan) is definitely not en vogue for fall – but after exhaustive research, I’ve found a few serious contenders.
I tried out a bevy of fashion-forward shades – greens from emerald to olive to military, browns and grays galore, even black. They all made me feel more like I’d dipped my toe into something I shouldn’t have. A good pedicure should make you feel pulled together and glamorous, not nervous…don’t you agree? And so, I settled on a few more traditional colors.
– Single Ladies by Deborah Lippmann looks like a typical deep, dark burgundy in the bottle, but in reality, it’s so perfectly light, it almost feels like a lip stain for your nails. It’s a perfect match for your favorite glass of cabernet, and the formulation means you can make the coverage as light or dark as you want.
– Brick House (also from Deborah) is as bold as I get for fall – a deep, burnt orange the color of changing leaves or crackling fires, complete with loads of iridescence to keep the color fresh.
– Street Swagger from Jessica Cosmetics is a fantastic, deep, inky plum color that goes on dark as night.
– Just a Little Rosti at This from OPI is that perfect fall red we always search for. Deep, creamy color, and just dark enough to be sophisticated.
Are you ready to change up your fall pedicure?
thank goodness, friends…i am so, so ready for it to be friday. i have a couple of projects i’m hoping to crank out today, so that i can really settle in and laze this weekend. i’m even hoping (foolishly, perhaps) for a bit of spring-worthy weather. hey, a girl can dream!
and now, on to the week’s most random finds:
i’m in the mood for a bright spring pedicure…there’s something about a really bright polish that makes me pine for open-toed shoes. the colors i’m most anxious to break out this season are from opi’s new texas collection – it’s exactly the bright, bold shot of color i’m jonesing for this time of year. check out too hot pink to hold ’em, guy meets gal-veston and houston, we have a purple…all are just begging for a little pedi-cameo. i’m even thinking of trying san-tan-tonio for my fingers…bold move for ms. bubble bath, i know.
i have a longstanding obsession with quilts…my grandmother was an amazing quilter, and it’s made me a bit cat-lady-crazy when it comes to coveting new ones to pile up on my bed. i wish i would just get my act together and learn how to sew. until then, though, an email landed in my inbox, letting me know that a.p.c., that lovely french brand, has released a few quilts, and it’s swoon central over here. they’re made from fabrics used in previous collections, so they’re going to be uber soft and silky, too. if only i had a spare $500 or so…
i have no idea if this pure & good hand cream is, in fact, good or not, but i’m in love with that sweet retro packaging. and anything with “ginger mandarin” scent can’t be that bad, can it? from anthropologie, of course.
more bracelets? yep, i just can’t resist. giles & brother’s spring collection is popping up on my radar almost daily this month, and i’m just in love. they always manage to hit that perfect note of hip edge that a preppy girl like me can actually handle.
that’s it for me, friends…i hope you have a wonderful two days ahead of you! here’s to sunglasses and sandals…