Can you feel the magic? I’ve been patiently, oh-so-patiently waiting to share this with you, friends – it’s your VERY FIRST LOOK at the full 2016 Nordstrom Anniversary Sale Catalog!!
Early Access starts July 14 (I’ve got all the deets and a handy countdown right here). In the meantime, I’ve been cozied up with the print edition since Friday, whittling down my picks so you’ll have an easy-shop list of the best Anniversary Sale must buys: statement pieces, denim, boots, beauty, lingerie – the whole nine!
First things first: raise your hand if you didn’t get to see the Designer Insert! So annoying, right? If you all want me to post pics, say the word…but honestly, you’re not missing much.
As always, I suspect the best pieces actually aren’t in the catalog at all. And as always, I’m a little wary of a few of the “statement” pieces that did make it into the catalog…because, of course, you’ll be seeing them everywhere come September. This year is more about apparel than any other category – casual, off-duty apparel, to be specific. So, if you’ve been itching to up your weekend game, now’s the time.
Here’s what’s turning me on so far:
- Coats: I’m looking forward to seeing that Theory graphic tweed car coat (p. 3, Item 5159090) and the Charles Gray London edge-to-edge clutch coat (p. 8, Item 5150407) in person. As basics go, that Mackage wrap coat (p. 17, Item 5152243) is going to be a quick seller, and with good reason. Also, I’m thrilled to see Veronica Beard in the Sale this year! The Cutaway Jacket (p. 5, Item 5158429) has a removable grey fleece dickey, so it looks layered but isn’t at all bulky. The olive stripes make it a little less timeless/versatile than a classic navy…but then again, since you’d wear it with jeans 99% of the time, it might be kind of perfect.
- Denim: Loads of denim, and the Frame Le High Straights (p. 5, Item 5163142) will probably sell out. I’ll likely skip those in favor of the Rag & Bone Dre boyfriend (p. 32, Item 5148202) with an awfully cute raw hem that should be in style a bit longer than the Frames. Or I’ll save $150 and get the Kut from the Kloth Reese straight leg (p. 43, Item 5146227), which is hilariously similar.
- Shoes: The Vince Hallie boot (p. 10, Item 5150568) is the one you’ll be sick of seeing (yet will totally regret not buying), so nab it quick – I’m betting it will be one of the first things to sell out. And the Rag & Bone Margots are back in two new colors (p. 10, Items 78616 & 5147783), so prepare to fight for those too. You’re going to want the Paul Green Jules bootie (p. 34, Item 5142812) or the Aquatalia Farin (p. 44, Item 5146973). And for kicking around, the Dolce Vita Sierra (p. 35, Item 5155154) is quite cute and nicely distressed. I’ve got my eye on a pair of Nike Air Max in solid black (p. 31, Item 1041562) and some very promising embossed-leather Vans (p. 31, Item 5040474). Also, Adidas Superstars (p. 31, Item 841205) never go on sale, so if that’s your bag, order early. Oh, and the Hunter wellies (p. 38, Item 5160770) are maybe the cutest version they’ve ever had in the Sale.
- Accessories: Dismal selection in the catalog, if you ask me. Blink and you’d miss it, but the Rag & Bone Aston mini crossbody (p. 11, Item 5146139 – preview it here in black) has serious potential. And I’ve got my eye on the Nadri pendant necklace (p. 21, Item 5114864) and the Kendra Scott tassel necklace (p. 41, Item 5167922), but as always, need to see in person. Oh, and that Halogen cashmere wrap (p. 45, Item 5115992) is so very Olivia Pope, I have to at least try it out.
- Staples you’d easily overlook: The Rag & Bone Polly pants (p. 11, Item 5155136) look pretty promising (ah, alliteration) as one of those “I can’t wear leggings to work” standbys. There are some nice Vince wide leg trousers (p. 12, Item 5149622), but honestly, I’m pretty in love with the ones I just bought at Next (bought in both colors, thankyouverymuch), and they were only $46! There’s also a great layering tank from Eileen Fisher (p. 14, Item 5158736) and a pair of leggings (p. 14, Item 5158694) I’ll be investigating further. Also looking into that Caroline Issa cashmere v-neck (p. 40, Item 5111204) – last year’s was way too boxy, but I’m hoping they learned their lesson.
- Beauty: This year’s Jo Malone set (p. 59, Item 5149354) is outstanding, and will sell fast. There’s also a Diptyque candle set (p. 59, Item 5149353) you could easily give every woman on your holiday list, if you’re a planner. A killer Bobbi Brown palette (p. 60, Item 5155395), as always. And a T3 blowdryer for $139 (p. 63, Item 5150049), which is good news.
What to skip? The Tory Burch leather goods look like the quality is really lacking, even in the online pics. Really, all of the bags are looking unimpressive if you ask me. Also, I’d avoid the slew of awkwardly-cropped trousers. You’re going to want that Bernardo bouclé coat (p. 16, Item 513376) to be cuter than it is, but I have a feeling it’s more orange than red IRL. And most of the work clothes are so boring, they just make me sad.
What about you, friends? What’s topping your must-have list so far?